Tuesday 12 January 2016

Day Seven .... all I see is sea and no internet!

Life on board
Today we’re at sea so I’ll try and give you our first impressions of cruising.
To be fair, I suppose as most of our time has been afloat, what you will see here is our impressions of the ship and what it has to offer to the captive audience.
To say it reminds me of our Pontins Osmington Bay visit in the early 70’s is probably an understatement.
Food wise, there is the same old choice for breakfast every morning, bacon and eggs and the extra’s. Fruit, cold meats and cheeses.
Whilst everything is fresh, or gives the impression it’s fresh, it is just a nudge under motorway service breakfast standards, and not up to basic good b&b available at say, Premier Inn.
If we were to fully partake of lunch, and we have on one occasion the menu has been good, a different every day selection.
Good flavours, cooked well and waiter served.
Having an  evening meal preference, we do try the salad bar, but that is the same selection every day, so lettuce does become a bit of a bore...even after this short time.
So to our evening main meal, again waiter service and up to a good standard with a fair selection.
The salad bar, if wanted, is still the same old salad selection.
We’re advised that the standard of this ship is not up to the big cruise ships...“you get what you pay for”
Compared to our Viking river cruises, it’s definitely a step down.
As is the entertainment, quite amateur in the main.
The entertainment team tries hard  with just a few “artists” standing out.
The best guest entertainer, gets off the boat in Madeira, so tonight is out last chance to catch his act.
What comes next, we shall have to wait and see.
Having said that 4 of the house team performed 45 minutes of Queen music last night with an excellent backing band. The guitarist was pretty close to Brian May, apart from the hair.
Good entertainment.
The bars all sell the same stuff, being a noted pint drinker and lover of real ale, the G&T’s and wines that I have been forced to drink, go down far too quickly for my safety.
I’m not going anywhere near the cocktails, so I’ve taken to drinking the draught pilsner, it’s just a touch better than canned Guinness, John Smith’s and Bass, and it lasts a bit longer than the shorts, whether it’s good for me or not, well, that remains to be seen.
Pauline’s treats both the wine & G&T in her normal fashion, so she‘s alright!
I asked Pauline if I was being fair with the above, and she is pretty much in agreement with my assessment.
That’s not to say we’re not enjoying our cruise.... so far.

This morning I awoke to the news of David Bowie’s death.
I have to say that I don’t think I have been affected by the loss of other great music masters, but I welled up a bit for Mr Bowie. Many great tracks lodged in my memory.
One of his earliest records I bought, Can’t help thinking about me, when he teamed up with the Lower Third, attracted me to his music before Major Tom.
Rest in Peace Sir.



No comments:

Post a Comment