Monday 11 January 2016

Day Six

Lisbon
Nobody picked me up on my Friday blog heading, you really must pay more attention. 
Having said that, the only reason I knew I was wrong with the date is because today I remembered, Sunday 10th January, would have been Mum’s 93rd birthday.

As it happens getting the approval to enter Lisbon seven hours early probably saved us an even bumpier night from that  expected, although it was still a bit up and down on the way.
Being amidships probably helps, but there were a few missing for dinner. 
We both appear to be good sailors, note I did say appear, not wanting to be seem over confident, as there is still quite a trek across the Atlantic to come.
We set off tonight for Madeira and the wind is pretty strong sat here in the port.
So, we docked dead on time at Midnight, and despite that, still appear to be walking crab fashion!
Our guided trip today was to familiarise ourselves with the City and also, with the benefit of hindsight, what was probably a mission by the Portuguese travel service to promote Estoril, once a popular resort, we‘re told, but now somewhat jaded.
I’ve managed to take a good few photographs of this part of Portugal and, as with most European cities the dock and immediate area have all seen better days. 
Being cynical, I think they are awaiting another earthquake, or more likely an EU grant, as the most destructive earthquake was in 1755!
The City, despite like climbing Everest in parts, has some interesting sites and history.
I’m only sorry the photo’s take up just too much time to put them  into the blog. In fact waiting for them to download has beaten even my patience, and is like waiting for paint to dry.






Talking of earthquakes, yesterday's lecture was all about that very same subject, the gory details of the 1755 event being given by the same lady who gave us the doom laden details of crossing the Bay of Biscay.
She tells us her future lectures will be more cheery!!
Anyway, the wind’s blowing and the rain is horizontal, so we’re back on board after a very nice lunch, and as can be seen, I’m back on the keyboard in the bar.

Cheers Mum xxx

No signal pick up from Lisbon, it’s 1 am just back from the bar and we’re on our way rolling about in the Atlantic, so I’m trying to post now, rather than hitting the sack as I know I’ll need a pee soon, I’ve been on the Bit Bergen a pilsner, the only draft beer on the boat!

Special note for Marlene & Jim, we haven't found your standby's yet!






No comments:

Post a Comment