Wednesday 27 January 2016

Day Twenty Two


Wednesday 27th January

We put the clock forward an hour last night and by co-incidence had our latest night in the bar. Turning the clock to 2 o’clock on our return to our cabin.
On our way home
I was almost tempted to accept Pauline’s offer to put the “Do not disturb” notice on the door this morning, but I thought no.
I didn’t want to miss my occasional morning ritual of trying to get 2 softly boiled eggs.
Having tried the very first time, we opened them to find the slimy mass inside barely clung to the inside of the shell.
Second attempt some days later, we said we wanted  5 minute eggs, they apparently give boiled eggs 4 minutes. 
That mornings pair came back exactly the same as the first attempt.
Now a bit of filling in, as stated earlier in the blog each morning we end up on a different table for breakfast, so I have to go through the request every time with  a different table waiter. 
The first problem to overcome is getting the waiter to understand we don’t want hard boiled eggs “they are on the buffet, Sir” 
Yes we know, we want soft boiled eggs please....puzzled expression, talks to supervisor, “ah right Sir”
Boil for 5 minutes PLEASE. “yes Sir I will do”
In the meantime Pauline has given up, and doesn’t want a gamble at breakfast.
So, just two for me PLEASE...... 5 minutes.
Let me end it here, I had 2 fried eggs over medium and watched them being cooked. 
 I’m not going to let the buggers beat me though!

So anyway, at 08:00 we’re fully parked up in a sandy bay just offshore of a town by the name of Alter do Chao (Altar of the Earth), population 2500. Founded in 1692 
It’s already 29c and promises to rise to 41c!
Once again it’s tender time, and we have to be back on board by 13:15.
We decide that we don’t want to be hard boiled on the tender, and then fried on the “rustic beach” and so the books have come out. 
I’m currently reading Strip Jack a Rebus novel by Ian Rankin.

It’s now 14:00 and we’re underway and we’re steaming towards Santana and the city of Macapa. Our last stop in the Amazon.
We’ve now traveled 5945 nautical miles

Tonight, if we really want to, we can watch “the 1973 epic” Papillon in the main show lounge “a must see classic”. You know the one, it’s where Steve McQueen doesn’t escape on a motor bike!
You may ask.. Why? 
Well, we are calling in on Iles du Salut (Devil’s Island) on Saturday for 8 hours.

A special note to our old friends Chris& Derek and anyone else trying to post on the comment section of the blog page.
I think you probably have to sign your life away to the God Google, so an email will get to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment